Compassionate, Trusted Plantation Bicycle Accident Attorney Ready To Help You
According to U.S. News & World Report, the pandemic has prompted what some are calling a “bicycle renaissance,” across the United States. In 2020, bicycle activity significantly outpaced that of prior years, with a 26 percent year-over-year growth. Bicyclists are extremely vulnerable to severe injury or death when struck by a vehicle as they have virtually no protection, other than a helmet if worn. While those in vehicles are surrounded by steel, glass, and airbags, and held in safely with a seatbelt, bicyclists have none of those things to protect them from injury. Because the injuries can be severe, injured bicyclists should always speak to a knowledgeable bicycle accident attorney. Plantation bicycle accident Attorney Nerina Smart wants to help those injured in a bicycle accident receive compensation for their injuries.
The Law Offices of Nerina Smart, P.A. represent those injured as a result of another’s negligence. We are experienced, compassionate, and will work aggressively to ensure you receive an equitable settlement for your medical expenses, lost work, pain and suffering, and more.
Bicycle Statistics in Florida and Broward County
Bicycle accidents occur across the nation, however, some states seem to be less safe for bicyclists. The bulk of bicycle fatalities occur in California, Florida, and Texas, and, per capita, Florida made the number one spot in 2020 for the state with the most bicycle fatalities. There were 163 bicycle fatalities in Florida in 2020, two of those were in Broward County.
In total, there were 5,949 bicycle accidents in 2020, with 602 of those in Broward County. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), bicycle deaths occur much more often in urban areas than in rural areas (78 percent as compared to 22 percent). Bicyclist deaths were six times higher for males than for females in 2019, and regardless of the season, most bicycle deaths occur between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
The Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Despite the fact that many cities are adding bike lanes to help bicyclists stay safer, the unfortunate truth is that many drivers treat cyclists as little more than an impediment to their destination. The most common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving, particularly drivers that are texting, talking on their phones, or trying to follow GPS instructions
- Following cyclists too closely or passing them too closely
- Making a turn without properly looking for cyclists
- Drivers that fail to yield to bicyclists
- Fatigued or impaired drivers
For injured bicycle riders, seeking financial compensation can be an important part of the recovery process. A Plantation bicycle accident attorney from The Law Offices of Nerina Smart, P.A. can help you recover from traumatic injuries that may lead to chronic pain, limited mobility, and other forms of financial and non-financial losses.
What is a “Typical” Settlement for a Bicycle Accident?
There is no “typical” settlement for a bicycle accident simply because each one is different, with different circumstances, different liability issues, and different injuries. If you were hit by the driver of an automobile and that driver exhibited negligence that caused the accident, you could be entitled to the following:
- You could receive medical expenses for the injuries you sustained in the accident. These expenses can be in the form of reimbursements for already performed medical care that you have already paid, along with projected future medical expenses. Medical expenses include emergency services, physicians’ services, x-rays, CT and MRI scans and other necessary tests, prescription medications, and rehabilitative therapies.
- If the accident caused you to miss work, you can be entitled to lost wages. If you will not be able to return to work for a very long time due to the extent of your injuries, you may be entitled to future lost wages.
- You may be eligible to receive payment for pain and suffering resulting from your accident. Pain and suffering may include actual physical pain from the injuries as well as mental anguish suffered as a result of the accident and injuries.
FAQs Regarding Bicycle Accidents
What are the most common injuries following a bicycle accident?
Superficial soft tissue injuries, along with musculoskeletal trauma, are the most common injuries suffered by bicyclists hit by a negligent driver. Head injuries, however, are responsible for the greatest number of fatalities and long-term disabilities among injured bicyclists. Other common bicycle accident injuries include neck and back injuries, broken bones, and damage to internal organs.
What should you do if you are involved in a bicycle accident?
If you are hit by a vehicle while bicycling, getting medical help for your injuries is always the first priority. Even if you think you are “fine,” remember that the rush of adrenaline your body receives during the accident can mask pain and injury. Beyond getting the appropriate medical treatment you should:
- Always contact the police.
- Exchange information with the person who caused the crash, if you are able.
- If you can, take photos of the scene of the accident and the damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle.
- If there were witnesses to the accident, obtain their contact information.
- When you get home, try to write down everything you can remember about the accident.
- Do not have your bicycle repaired until you have spoken to a bicycle accident attorney.
- Never negotiate with the driver’s insurance company or agree to a settlement until you have all the information ready to support your claim, and, ideally, until you have spoken to an attorney
- Speak to a bicycle accident attorney from the Law Offices of Nerina Smart, P.A. as quickly as you can following the accident.
How an Experienced Plantation Bicycle Accident Attorney from The Law Offices of Nerina Smart Can Help Injured Bicyclists
If you live near Plantation, Florida area and you have been injured by a negligent driver while riding your bicycle, Plantation bicycle accident attorney Nerina Smart wants to help you through this difficult time. At The Law Offices of Nerina Smart, we understand the trauma—both physical and financial—such an accident brings. We want to be the compassionate advocate in your corner that helps you get your life back following your accident. Contact The Law Offices of Nerina Smart, P.A. today.