You, like most of us, are a pedestrian at some point every day. You may walk on a regular basis—for exercise, to get to your job or school, or to run errands. Or you may only walk when you must—from your car to the building where you work, from the parking lot to the grocery store, or to take your dog for his nightly walk around the block. Whether you are a purposeful walker or a reluctant walker, you could find yourself the victim of a pedestrian accident. According to the NHTSA, 6,205 pedestrians were killed, and an estimated 76,000 pedestrians injured across the United States in 2019. If you are hit by a vehicle while walking, the steps to take after a pedestrian accident can be crucial to your future.
One of those steps should always be to contact an experienced pedestrian accident attorney from The Law Offices of Nerina Smart, P.A. Attorney Nerina Smart understands the challenges you face following a Florida pedestrian accident. Injuries to pedestrians hit by a vehicle are often severe, even catastrophic. Because pedestrians have no protection, they can face such serious injuries as traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. These injuries can bring a lifetime of medical interventions, physical pain, emotional trauma, and financial devastation. When you need a fierce advocate in your corner, you need The Law Offices of Nerina Smart, P.A.
What Are the Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Accident?
Those who are legally responsible for your injuries may attempt to shift the blame to you to avoid liability. For the best outcome, you should know what to do after a pedestrian accident. First, assess your injuries and take stock of the accident. Arguably, this is a difficult task since you’ve just been hit by a moving vehicle. If you can, get out of the road, avoiding further harm. Call 911 if no one else has already done so. You will need the police to file an official report, which is important for a future pedestrian claim for your injuries.
If you are able, obtain witness contact information from anyone who saw the accident. Have yourself medically checked out, even if you think you are not badly injured. The adrenaline that floods your body during an accident can often mask injuries—even serious injuries. Exchange information with the driver who hit you. This includes license plate number, contact information, and insurance information. Other than exchanging information, avoid having a conversation with the driver who hit you. Anything you say can be taken out of context and later used against you to deny liability for your injuries. Additionally, do the following after your pedestrian accident:
- Take photos at the scene if you are physically able, including speed signs and anything that could potentially be used as evidence
- Keep the clothes you were wearing at the time of the accident—put them in a large Ziploc bag in the event they can show the level of the impact
- Once you are home, take the time to write down every single detail you remember from the accident
- Contact an experienced Florida pedestrian accident attorney as quickly as possible and never, ever give a statement to the driver’s insurance company without first talking to your attorney
Do I Need a Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
You may be wondering whether you really need a pedestrian accident attorney—and what an attorney can do for you following your pedestrian accident. A pedestrian accident attorney from The Offices of Nerina Smart can assist you with the following:
- Your attorney can help determine fault in your accident. The insurance company will attempt to place liability for the accident on you to avoid paying a claim. Your attorney can prove the fault lay squarely on the driver by using witness testimony, medical information, and evidence collected at the scene.
- The attorney you choose will determine the damages you sustained in the accident, including medical expenses, lost wages (current and future), and pain and suffering.
- Your attorney will advocate on your behalf with the insurance company, negotiating for a fair settlement, and ensuring you are not cheated.
- The attorney you choose will carefully lay out your options, then help you determine your best course of action.
Perhaps most importantly, your attorney knows the state and local laws governing your accident, is cognizant of the statute of limitations, and understands when to settle and when to sue.
How Can The Law Offices of Nerina Smart, P.A. Help Me After My Pedestrian Accident?
When you are faced with challenging and difficult times, choosing the right attorney for your case is an important decision. Having attorney Nerina Smart in your corner as soon as possible can ensure you know what steps to take after a pedestrian accident. You deserve personal attention and dedication to help you receive the settlement you need and are entitled to.
When the negligence of a driver caused your accident, leaving you injured, unable to work, and facing months or years of medical interventions, Nerina Smart can help. When you contact The Law Offices of Nerina Smart, P.A. you receive compassion, personalized attention, experience, knowledge, and a passion for justice. When you are injured and unable to help yourself, attorney Nerina Smart will step in and work assiduously to ensure your rights and your future are protected.